Are you planning a long trip in the coming summer vacation? Are you also an over-packer who packs double as needed? Don’t worry because Lufthansa Airlines Baggage Policy is here to protect you. So, you can let go of the worry and start packing your outfits and other necessities for your travels.
You must be wondering how much baggage weight you can carry on the flight, what the fees are that you need to pay in case of excess baggage, and what musical instruments are allowed on the flight. To know the answers to all these questions, read this article till the end.
What Is Lufthansa Airlines Baggage Policy?
The Lufthansa Airlines Baggage Policy provides customers with a detailed overview of the baggage allowances and fees in different scenarios. Reading this policy will answer all your questions related to baggage size, weight, restricted items, carry-on luggage, check-in baggage, and more. So, without any delay, let’s start reading the policy.
Lufthansa Airlines Carry-on Allowance
Carry-on items are the bags that you bring to the flight with you and place in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. A carry-on item can be a purse, bag, laptop bag, or any item that fits the dimensions allowed by Lufthansa.
The maximum dimensions allowed for carry-on luggage are 55 x 40 x 23 cm or 22 x 16 x 9 inches. Please note that these dimensions are written according to length x width x height. Moreover, these dimensions are inclusive of the pockets and all handles that your carry-on bag contains. Lastly, the weight of the carry-on must not increase by 18 lb or 8 Kg.
Lufthansa Airlines Check-in Baggage
When it comes to check-in baggage, there are set weight limits depending on the class you’re flying in.
To know these weight limits, read the points given below:-
- First Class Ticket Holders: 32 Kg or 70 pounds.
- Business Class Ticket Holders: 32 Kg or 70 pounds.
- Premium Economy Class Ticket Holders: 23 Kg or 50 pounds.
- Economy Class Ticket Holders: 23 Kg or 50 pounds.
Moreover, 158 cm or 62 inches is the maximum linear dimension that a passenger can bring as their checked baggage.
Additionally, the number of bags that every passenger can carry is:
- First Class Ticket Holders: Three Bags
- Business Class Ticket Holders: Two Bags
- Premium Economy Class Ticket Holders: Two bags
- Economy Class Ticket Holders: One Bag
Please note that for every second bag that a passenger carries, the maximum allowed weight is 23 Kg. If your checked baggage exceeds these weight limits, then you must be prepared to pay any extra charges as per the Lufthansa Airlines Baggage Policy.
Lufthansa Airline Baggage Restrictions
Lufthansa has set some restrictions on the type of items that you can bring on the airline, whether it’s as a carry-on or a checked bag.
Read these restricted items given below to make sure everything is clear:-
- Acids or Alkalis
- Gas Containers
- Flammable Liquids (varnish, lighter fuel, paint, etc)
- Explosives or fireworks
- Toxic Substances (Mercury, virus cultures, etc)
- Lithium Batteries
- Dry Ice (more than 2.5 Kg)
- Radioactive materials
These items are restricted on Lufthansa flights to ensure the safety and security of all the passengers and Lufthansa agents. Other items are magnetic materials, heat-generating objects, electroshock weapons, oxygen generators, and more. If you need clarification on any particular item, then please read the Lufthansa Airlines Baggage Policy available on their website.
Baggage Policy Lufthansa for Kids
Are you planning a trip with your kids? Do you need an extra luggage allowance to keep their items? Lufthansa Airlines Baggage Policy for kids allows you to do so.
Read the points below to understand the luggage allowance for kids:-
- If your kid is two years old or less, then you are allowed to bring one bag for them free of cost.
- The maximum weight of the extra bag for the kid can weigh up to 23 kg. Moreover, the kids can bring a folding buggy to their flight as well.
- If your kid is older than two years, then the baggage policy is similar to the adult baggage policy by Lufthansa.
- Parents/Guardians traveling with a child may also carry a child seat if needed.
- However, this is possible only when you book a separate seat for your child.
- So, you have to pay the fare for your child’s seat as per the Lufthansa Baggage Policy.
Sports Equipment: Baggage Policy for Lufthansa
Are you traveling for a cricket match? Or are you a sports person and need to carry your sports equipment to your desired destination? Lufthansa Airlines allows customers to carry their choice of sports equipment.
However, carrying sports equipment is not a surprise that Lufthansa Airline looks forward to. Therefore, you must register your sports baggage before your scheduled flight is about to depart. Moreover, the passenger must register their luggage at least 24 hours before their flight is about to depart.
Additionally, customers can bring one piece of ski or snowboarding equipment free of cost on their flight. But if you are planning to carry sports items, it is best to book tickets and register these items online by visiting Lufthansa’s official website.
Musical Instruments: Lufthansa Baggage Policy
If you want to carry a musical instrument with you on your flight with Lufthansa, then you are allowed to do so. However, there are some Rules for Carrying Musical Instruments on Lufthansa Airlines.
- If your musical instrument weighs more than 32 Kg, then you have to register the instrument online and get the airline’s approval.
- If the instrument is up to 52 Kg, then you are liable to pay some fees for bringing it on a Lufthansa flight.
- Customers flying within Europe or between third countries need to pay $300.
- When flying to Intercontinental countries, you need to pay $400.
- Lastly, the dimensions of this musical instrument must not exceed 200 cm x 75 cm.
Lufthansa Airlines Pet Policy
You no longer need to find a shelter or worry about how and where your pet will live when you’re away for work or vacation. Lufthansa Airlines allows customers to bring their furry friends along with them on their journey so that they can spend their vacation with the ones they love.
The policy differs in terms of In-cabin pets and checked baggage pets. Moreover, in the case of bigger animals, the option of Air Cargo is also available. The kinds of pets allowed, carrier dimensions, and other important things to know are given below. So, read Lufthansa’s pet policy thoroughly.
In Cabin Pet Policy by Lufthansa
Small dogs and cats are allowed in Lufthansa flight’s cabin. However, there are some age and carrier restrictions that apply to these pets.
- Age Requirements: A minimum of 12 weeks if the required age of both dogs or cats that are traveling on a Lufthansa flight. However, if traveling to/from the United States of America, the minimum age of the pet is 16 weeks.
- Carrier Rules: It is important to note that the carrier that your pet will travel in has a waterproof bottom and enough space for the pet to turn, stand, and sit. It would help if you placed the carrier underneath the seat in front of you or on your lap. Passengers can bring up to two cats or dogs in one carrier, with enough space for both.
- Carrier Dimensions: The maximum measurement of the carrier in which your pet will travel is 21.6 x 15.7 x 9 (L x W x H), or 55 x 40 x 23 cm. However, it is mandatory to inform the airline that you are bringing a pet with you on the flight. Lastly, the total weight of the pet carrier and the pet combined must not exceed 8 Kg or 17 pounds.
Now that you know the rules for Bringing Pets On Board Lufthansa Airlines, travel stress-free to your desired places. The approximate cost for bringing a pet in the cabin is around €55-100, and you must make reservations for your pet by either calling Lufthansa or visiting the airport.
Checked Baggage Pet Policy by Lufthansa
If your pet is large enough to not fit underneath the seat in front of you, then you may consider the Cargo option. Especially if it’s a long flight, it’s best to go with the cargo option, so to ensure the safety and health of your furry friend. The pets allowed in cargo include dogs, cats, hares, and rabbits.
There are no such age requirements when it comes to pets as checked baggage. The pets in cargo are brought in crates, and only one animal is allowed in one crate. Passengers are allowed to get two pets in total, one in cargo and one in cabin.
The cost of your pet traveling in a crate will depend on the route that you are taking. Moreover, if your pet is young or up to 6 months old, then a maximum of three pets can travel in one crate. If the pets are larger, then two pets can travel in one crate, provided they weigh not more than 14 Kg each.
Lufthansa Airlines is an ultra-low-cost airline with various policies that make traveling easier and affordable. The information above provides an overview of Lufthansa Airlines baggage policy and pet policy. If you have any doubts, then speak to a live person at Lufthansa today. The official customer service phone number for Lufthansa Airlines is 1 (800) 645-3880, or visit the official website.
Lufthansa strives to ensure comfort and convenience for all customers. Therefore, it allows customers to pay for their checked baggage in advance on their official website. All you need to do is visit the ‘My Bookings’ tab and go on ‘my trips’.
Customers cannot carry any self-defense sprays, explosives, tasers, lithium batteries, bleaching powder, or other such dangerous items on Lufthansa planes.
Yes. Passengers can bring musical instruments, including Guitar, on Lufthansa flights. To know the detailed rules and regulations for bringing musical instruments on board, refer to the Lufthansa Baggage Policy for musical instruments given above.